Monday, January 14, 2008

cliftones strike back!

I am a music lover. I listen to music constantly. I sing... a lot... & that's usually why people throw stuff at me (because I sing really bad for those of you who don't know me and are a little slow). So, on this blog I will be reviewing, hyping, and telling you all about a lot of artists and their new CDs that are coming out.

*It's my privilege that the very 1st CD I ever hype on this blog is a CD from one of my best friends - Scott Clifton. He & his two twin brothers - Blake and Mark - comprise this rockin' band dubbed the Cliftones. (occasionally they even let their dad jump in to rock the bass.)

Scott is probably the most gifted guitar player I have ever met or ever seen play. He's just one of those guys who can start fooling around on a guitar and you'll find yourself sitting and watching with your mouth open for the next hour.

Scott was one of the groomsmen in my wedding. Sometimes we call him "Scottie too Hottie" (& yes ladies, he's still single).We met at college before the first day of classes our freshman year. We played soccer together for 4 years & were even roommates for a year. We definitely had a lot of fun & I'm sure he got A LOT less work done because he was my roommate. Even back then I knew he was going places musically. God has blessed him with phenomenal musical talent and song writing ability. He loves God with his whole heart and wants to make His love known to more and more people through music. And He is a really humble guy! I don't know his brothers nearly as well, but they are great guys as well & obviously gifted as you can hear from the CD.

When Scott sent me the CD in the mail I popped it in and was really impressed from the beginning. I was expecting great things from this debut album, but this CD is even better than I imagined. Most of the songs from this East Texas band contain an acoustic-driven rock/folksy sound. You will immediately hear hints of bands such as Shane & Shane, Dave Matthews Band, Nickel Creek, & Dave Barnes. If you like any of those guys or are looking for some fresh, fun, and God-centered music then you need to check these guys out.

Immediately my favorite songs were track #2 - Chase & #4 Great is the Lord but now I've got a lot of favorites:
#3 - Get Over Yourself is such a fresh reminder from this God-centered band that we are not ultimate, God is = "This is not about you/ This has always been about Him and His name glorified."
#7 - Filthy Lie is an awesome song about the essence of grace that you'll be singing along with in no time = "I guess in the back of my mind/ I thought I was going to pay you back/ Live by this set of do's and don'ts/ Cause that is what I'm supposed to do/ I thank you Lord for reminding me/ That it's this law that you set me free from/ I could never even know the price you paid for me."
#2 - Chase is the one I always try to sing along with in the shower and harmonize along with the bros... my part only sounds good in my head though. When you hear this song once you'll be singing it all day long!
I Am, These Three Words, and Lover are all strong worshipful anthems.

(I'm not sure what we're doing here or why we're rocking a mullet, Afro, and big daddy Canada hat? Congrats to the mullet man on the left, Jim because he's gonna be a daddy soon... he is currently accepting donations.)

So do yourself a favor and check these guys out at cliftones.com. Then go buy their CD here or download it on iTunes... you won't regret it. You'll be refreshed, nourished, and have fun listening to this great CD from a great band of brothers. If you're in the Dallas/East Texas area bring them in to play a show or lead worship at your church or student ministry.

It's been in my CD player since I got it & I know you'll love it too. Oh and Scott... I need to remember to get my CD autographed by you guys before the Cliftones hit it really big so then I can sell it on eBay for like 100 Gs. And when you're a huge rock star just remember all the crazy good times with your good buddy patrick on Ballard 2nd floor & @ kooter browns.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite lines from the CD... it's brought tears to my eyes a few times. "Cause I, I've been running/ And still You chase me/ And I, I've got nowhere else to go/ And still You let me in." (Chase)


(Self-proclaimed "retro day" with Scott on the left and me 2nd from the right next to one of my best friends Ethan whose blog you should go read right now.)

5 comments:

bhy said...

Where are they from in East Texas? You know that's my stomping grounds. Yeehaw!

Also, on the retro picture, is that you in flip flops?! You are way cool.

patrick mitchell said...

Tyler, Texas... I couldn't remember which part of Texas you were from.
yep, that's definitely me rockin' the rainbows as usual :)

Anonymous said...

Dude,

No more post with PCC pics, I am having serious flashbacks, that I would rather not be experiencing!

patrick mitchell said...

sorry jeff,
i guess i should have cropped it. that was the only pic from there. hope it doesn't bring back the nightmares.

Anonymous said...

By far one of my all time favorite pics. I'm pretty sure we got in trouble for that stunt too. Ha...Rebels.