Monday, December 28, 2009

all the books I read in 2009


I only read 21 books this year, well short of the 31 I read last year. At my pastor & mentor's recommendation I tried to spend more time on typing my notes/takeaways from the books I read & then implementing their awesomeness into my life to make me a better husband, leader, Jesus follower, etc... (I guess you can ask Jesus, the people I lead, and my wife how that all worked out...)

I'll list all the books I read but will really just comment on the books that did NOT make my top 10 list. You can read my top 10 list of books I read in 2009 and my thoughts on them HERE.

These are listed in the order of when I read them during the year.

The Secret Message of Jesus - Brian McLaren
this was tied for the #1 book I read all year.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day - Mark Batterson
This was a really great book. You can read it really fast. He says a lot of awesome, yet simple stuff. Almost "rick warrenish"... His blog is full of good little short posts that are right on. I look forward to reading his next one Wild Goose Chase & then his latest Primal. one of these days I'll get around to them.

The Truth About You - Marcus Buckingham
This was my #5 book of the year. If you've never read Buckingham then pick this one up today!

The Last Word and the Word After That - Brian McLaren
This was the final book in McLaren's awesome "New Kind of Christian" trilogy. The 1st one was the best, but McLaren is such a great writer that everything he writes is awesome. This is an awesome fiction trilogy and this finale was great. I had followed these characters through 3 books and 5 years. good stuff.

Life of the Beloved - Henri J. M. Nouwen
My friend Ryan recommended this book to me as one that might be great for peeps who weren't Christians or people who were struggling with their faith. In my opinion it was just OK. I've got a lot of Nouwen books, but maybe I'm just not used to his style yet. I haven't read a lot of books by Catholic priests, so maybe that's why I'm not used to the style? I don't know. I do know that there were several times Nouwen did a great job of helping me see the overwhelming love of God.

Choosing to Cheat - Andy Stanley
This was my #6 top book of 2009. I think everybody should read this before they get married. And if you're already married then read it NOW!

Good to Great - Jim Collins
Also my #1 book of 2009. I listened to it on my iPod and took about 20 pages of brilliant notes on the book (but lost that notebook which you can read about HERE). I guess I'll need to go back and read this one all over again & write out those notes. It's worth it though. great book.

Jesus Wants to Save Christians - Rob Bell
Tied for my #10 book of 2009. If you don't think Scripture says much about the poor and oppressed and want to keep thinking that... then don't read this book.

Crazy Love - Francis Chan 
Tied for my #10 book of 2009. Same comment as the above book.

The Seven Checkpoints of Youth Ministry - Andy Stanley & Stuart Hall
It was a good book with some good points to learn. I think it is mainly helpful as a guide for helping plan a student ministry speaking schedule. I think it's brilliant for that. Although North Point isn't even really following this plan anymore and neither are we... the principles are still good though.

The Pleasures of God - John Piper
This was my #4 best book of '09. Loved it.

Think Orange - Reggie Joiner
Probably should have been ranked higher than #7. it's so practically brilliant.

The Passion of Jesus Christ/ 50 Reasons Jesus Came to Die - John Piper
This was my "pot book" for at least 50 days. Don't know what a "pot book" is? You can read all about it HERE. Piper has a lot of great books that make for good "pot books" because the readings are so short. This one was perfect. And it's a great book.

The Rest of God - Mark Buchanan
This was #3 on my top 10 list! Great book.

The Great Emergence - Phyllis Tickle
Also tied for #10 on my '09 list. Very important history, findings, and predictions...

Advent Conspiracy - Chris Seay, Rick McKinley, & Greg Holder
The most awesome conspiracy ever finally in book form. If you don't know about Advent Conspiracy then go to the website & read the book. You can read a little about my own AC HERE.

The Spirit of the Disciplines - Dallas Willard
This book is a classic and really famous and all that. It was a really hard book to get through. I'll go back through and type my notes on it and only then find out how helpful it actually was. I was just relieved to finish the thing. It's pretty deep and Willard isn't the easiest author to read.

Death By Church - Mike Erre
Good stuff. Made #9 on my list.

Everyone's Normal Till You Get to Know Them - John Ortberg
This is the book our community group read together and talked through this past Fall @ Ridge. I've never talked through a book before as part of a small group. It's got A LOT of really good stuff. Honestly I feel like it could have all been condensed down to about half the size. But the good stuff in it is still good...

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling
Greatest author/writer/storyteller of all time? Maybe. My 1st fiction book in 10 years made #8 on my list.

The Relevant Nation - edited by Heather Zydek
My "pot book" (see above and/or here - a "pot book" is simply a book you read each day on the pot.) for the past couple months. It was put out by Relevant (my fav magazine). It's basically 50 biographies of awesome leaders under 40 from all venues = church, culture, media, business, politics, social justice, the arts, etc... Another perfect "pot book". If you don't currently have one, try starting with this one. It will open your eyes to what a lot of people "our age" are doing for the Kingdom across the world...


There you have it. A little peek into the books I read this year. Very soon I'll be posting my 2010 book list!

What books did YOU read in 2009?

No comments: