Monday, September 1, 2008

quotes of the week #3

here we go for a 3rd time... and remember, if you're asking yourself "Why is he posting the quotes of the week & it's only Monday?" you need to go back HERE & read the disclaimers for this phenomenon that is "Quotes of the Week" here at renown.
+ The last time I posted quotes of the week was June 25th! I am going to try to post these QotW more frequently (and try to keep it a little shorter for your sake?) we'll see how it works out. OK, enough jibberjab...

[quite possibly the quote of the week...]
it seems like the teachings of Jesus haven’t really rubbed off on his followers.” – Mike Foster
[a pimp who started xxxchurch, ethur, the junky car club, co-author of Deadly Viper: Character Assassins, +++]
“Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love.” - Buddha [that is straight baller! never read any Buddha before... but this... wow. needs to be on a t-shirt or something. I would wear it.]

* “We need to pray for our leaders and our country, but always remember that our leaders and country do not define us. We are the generation that will shape the direction culture, government and social action will take in the next 50 years. It’s not up to Washington, it’s up to us—and I say it’s time we step up and lead the charge. But that means with our lives, our finances and our actions every day. Not just Nov. 4.” – Cameron Strang [Publisher & Editor of my FAV magazine - Relevant. from his little "First Word" section in the latest issue.]

“Every man is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson [This has been the philosophy of life I have DESPERATELY been TRYING to live by the past few years!]
Arrogance is perhaps the most socially acceptable form of sin in the church today.” – Mark Batterson [a genuinely nice guy & pastor of National Community Church in DC. author of 2 great books also. I think he is right on about the arrogance thing.]
“The soul never thinks without a picture.” - Aristotle 
“I would like to live a long life, but I’m not that concerned with that. I just want to do God’s will.” – MLK  [I'm with you 100%]

“Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain—and most fools do.” – Dale Carnegie [from How to Win Friends and Influence People]
“Christianity comes across as a system of beliefs not a way of life. Did Jesus Christ really mean to start a system of beliefs and arguments or a WAY OF LIFE?” – brian mclaren [leader of emergent village, visionary, author, etc...]
“There is no such thing as an emotionless vision.” – andy stanley [no intro needed...]
“No man who is resolved to make the most of himself can spare the time for personal contention. - Abraham Lincoln [I'm guessing you've heard of this guy. and I'm doing my best to live by this one too.]

“When mainstream culture and the Church’s mission line up, it’s kind of bizarre. Something’s gotta be afoot. There is definitely a shift in our culture to helping those less fortunate.” –David Crowder [amazingly talented worship artist... you're right on dave. feels like we better take advantage of this unique opportunity... I think God is "afoot".]
“One of our weaknesses is that we’re far more concerned with being right than being righteous.” = Margaret Feinberg [author & speaker. WOW - ouch. so true of the majority of Christians I have met. I pray to God that I'm not one of them!]
"Life is not short, so quit saying it. Life is excruciatingly long." - john mayer [if you were at the concert at Verizon Amphitheater a couple weeks ago then you remember this awkward

 moment during the concert when he was saying a whole bunch of weird stuff that didn't make sense. we didn't pay the $ to hear you talk John...]

“Imagination precedes fact.”C.S. Lewis [really smart dead guy. oh, and he wrote a lot of books too. I try to learn from dead guys. I LOVE this quote!!! it gives me permission to dream... to let my imagination run WILD in hopes that one day those dreams will be reality & my imaginations of what could and should be... will be.]


No comments: