Sunday, August 31, 2008
Friday, August 29, 2008
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Monday, August 18, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
- Please don't let these stats get old!!! = 29,000 kids under the age of 5 DIE every day in Africa from preventable diseases!!!!!!!
- Great Question = "Do you think you are MORE valuable to God than those kids?" Then why do you spend tons of $ on YOUR comfort, retirement, savings, life insurance, cars, clothes, etc...?You spend $ on all this stuff to pad your future, but they are dying NOW! (Francis & his friend had a cool idea to go along with this = they gave all their shirts to the poor and only kept 7!!! just 1 shirt per day. never buy any more... just give the $ to the poor.)
- Here's what I haven't been able to get over for like the last 2 years... if you REALLY believe Matthew 25 then all those poor people are really JESUS! so, I think we should be saying more often "I don't need this, I don't need that... Jesus is over there dying right now!" Seriously, if that's Jesus (the little kid dying without clean water in Kenya) then how can I buy this car?
- over 1/2 the world lives on less than $2 a day. just an interesting thought next time we feel like complaining about our salary.
- Francis made a great analogy to what the church does when people talk about helping Jesus/the poor = "We act like a football team who went to the huddle & then the break and everyone cheers & then they run to the bench and sit down. What a sucky football team." - but that's us. we say the right stuff, but do nothing!
- I love so much that Francis challenged these high schoolers to do more & he painted a great picture for them of what it's like to help the poor. He said this - "Do you know what it's like to hand a bowl of rice to someone who would NOT normally eat? Do you know what it's like to put a pair of shoes on an orphans' feet? IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE! way better. Doing that is WAY better than any car you could ever buy!!! I PROMISE." Thanks Francis for stepping up and showing the next generation that. someone needs to be telling it.
- The problem is that most peep hear this stuff and think "You're asking me to sacrifice my dreams and my future!" Francis responded by saying "I'm not saying to kill your dream [the American Dream, really], I'm just saying THERE'S A BETTER DREAM!" now that is off the hook & so true!!! most peeps are chasing the wrong dream.- this cracks me up. you might ask the Q "What if I give away too much & have no retirement left, or no house, or even DIE from starvation because I was saving the lives of those kids in Africa?" haha - Francis: "It probably won't be all that bad to stand in front of God after starving to death and say 'OOOPS, I guess I gave away too much.' I PROMISE, IT'S A BETTER WAY TO LIVE." I like that promise, Francis... and I'm gonna do everything I can to live that better way & persuade others to join the movement & FEED JESUS!
Monday, August 11, 2008
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Friday, August 8, 2008
So, thanks to my former pastor/boss/mentor for hooking us up with this pimp vacation home here in Lake Lure, NC. I think if we had a place like this we'd be up here every other weekend... I guess that's why you had to move to Miami? a permanent vacation home? haha
Sorry the blogging has been scarce. well, maybe not really so sorry. i'm on vacation. but don't worry, I'll be hitting it back up pretty much everyday when we get back home. I've got so many thoughts to share. For now, check out my pastor's blog who is posting some cool thoughts and videos from our Family Birthday Celebration.
we haven't really watched tv all week but crystal LOVES the olympics, so i'm sure that we'll be watching the torch opener thing tonight. peace everybody.
[PS - oh, and sorry for the pictureless blog! i'm using the somewhat crappy computer at the resort headquarters that won't allow pics + we have like a 30 minute time limit...]
OH & PS #2 = it's 8/8/08... haha. i told Crystal we should have waited until today to get married because of the cool date. she didn't think it was funny.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
I can’t believe it’s been 3 years!!! We seriously still feel like newlyweds. But, today is our 3 year wedding anniversary! 8/5/05 was the day Crystal Pagels & Patrick Mitchell tied the knot. Pretty crazy… a lot has changed since that day. I’ve definitely fallen even more in love with this amazing woman. I didn’t think that was even possible back then. I’m so excited to be married to Crystal. She’s the greatest woman in the world. The perfect wife. I made her a video/card/song/poem this morning with all the sappy stuff so I will spare the world wide web all of that. I’ll just say that I can’t imagine my life without her.
She’s so smokin’ hot + an unbelievable cook. She’s the exception to that rule in the song about marrying an ugly girl to be happy because she will be a good cook. My wife has NEVER made something that wasn’t good in 3 years of marriage. I was even geared up for some bad meals, but she surprised me. She should have a show on Food Network or something.
So we’re on vacation all week to celebrate our anniversary. + She says she’s got some surprise for me or something… guess I’ll find out soon.
Happy Anniversary, Crystal. You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met. You were a beautiful bride & you are beautiful today, 3 years later. And I know you’ll be beautiful after 53 years. I’m gonna spend the rest of my life making you happy. I love you, babygirl.
(& thanks, God for hooking us up!)