Monday, December 19, 2011

need to feel like a better parent? just read this

My wife's grandmother from New York has had the privilege to stay at our house and hang out with Keira twice since she's been born. and in that time i've probably heard this story about a half dozen times.

just letting you know up front that this is a true story! i didn't make it up and i didn't just steal it from something i saw on Tosh.0 or Ridiculousness.

here you go:
back in the day when my father-in-law was a baby, his mom (my wife's grandmother) was driving through town and made a U-turn...
the back door of the car came open and the baby FELL OUT!!!
he straight up fell out onto the street on his head!
out of a moving car!

she got out of the car, threw him back in the back seat, and kept driving.

wow.
hard to top that one.

and he turned out just fine (you know, for the most part). she seems like she was a wonderful mother & of course this kind of thing wasn't the norm.
but hey, stuff happens. we're all going to make mistakes. i'm sure i'll make TONS. thousands. i'm trying not to, but i'm sure i will.

but when i make those mistakes i'm going to remind myself of this story and say to myself "at least i didn't eject my baby onto the street from a moving car."

hopefully i never top that one.

1 comment:

Matthusaleh said...

My mom was driving one day with my three older brothers in the back seat of the station wagon - they were 6 mos, not quite 2, and about 3 at the time - when she hit the brakes a little hard.

3 screaming kids ended up on the floor of the back seat of the car. Apparently someone hadn't locked the seat down after folding it forward for something.

I can't say that they all turned out okay, but that's probably just a little brother's perspective.