Monday, October 6, 2008

Crystal wins her 1st 5K!!!

My bad, I meant Crystal RAN her 1st 5K!

That's pretty huge though and I'm really excited and proud of my awesome wife!

She ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure which is a 5K that this organization takes across the country to high profile cities like NYC, etc... It's an organization that is fully committed to curing breast cancer.

Crystal was really excited about this because her grandmother ("Nana") has been free of breast cancer for the last couple years after her surgery. She's all about supporting breast cancer research, especially if she can do it in honor of her Nana.

So, that's exactly what she did. You could run "in celebration" of someone which I thought was pretty cool. They put that person's name you're running for right on the placard on your shirt as you run. I also saw some men who were running "in Memory my wife Julia" or something like that. That was pretty sad to see, but cool that they were out trying to raise money so that other families don't have to experience the same tragedy they did.

Now she wants to run another charity 5K this month! It's not really my favorite thing to do early on a Saturday morning - get up at 7AM and take my wife to a race and then wait for her to finish. BUT, I am SO proud of her for deciding to do something and then having the determination to train for it and finish it! + for a great cause. Awesome job, Crystal!

4 comments:

Adam Antine said...

Congrats, Crystal!

the burchard bunch said...

way to go girl!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Crystal that's an awesome reason to get up early on a Sat. God Bless

EZ

Anonymous said...

BTW you are a winner for even running in such a race. Crystal, Crystal, Crystal...

EZ