Wednesday, October 15, 2008

andy's 1st talk @ catalyst

that's right, andy is the only guy who gets 2 talks at Catalyst! he's that big of a pimp. you can read more of my thoughts on him HERE. [if you're wondering what Catalyst is and why I'm writing about it read HERE.]

*also, this talk is adapted from the 2nd talk in the series we are doing currently at Ridge = Letters to the Next President. You can listen to the 1st 2 talks HERE. Also, come check out part 3 this Sunday @ Ridge in the Levine Center at 11AM.

OK, now for my takeaways. [remember, these are my unfiltered takeaways and thoughts on what he said.]

-  "Moral Authority is what we gain as a leader. It's when people see alignment between our creed and deeds... between what we say and do."
-  This enables the people to be able to say "I don't necessarily believe what you say but I believe you really believe it."

-  good reminder = "Everybody at the end of the day is really a volunteer." - because employees can quit.
*** If my words and actions don't align I CANNOT lead people!

3 specific areas in which we as leaders MUST have moral authority:

1 - Forgiveness = this is definitely the 1 area where we as the church should nail it! we MUST have moral authority here! [we of all people should "get" this & live it! Forgiveness IS our messsage.]

2 - Family = don't lose moral authority here! DON'T ever let my wife feel like the Church is my mistress! If she "feels" neglected then I'm part of the problem! Then I have no moral authority in that area anymore.
-  ***This was a crazy awesome quote that Andy said that is SUCH a great word for all of us to remember! = *** "1 day there will be another pastor of NPCC. I'm the only dad my kids will ever get."

3 - Finances = if you work in ministry "every dollar you ever get in your paycheck is what somebody GAVE." ***So, I can't fundraise with any moral authority unless I've got my financial junk in order.

People's question will always be = "Does he really believe/do what he's asking me to do?" If we have moral authority in that area then their answer will be yes.

*Honestly if I had to sum it up in one simple CLICHE it would be to "practice what you preach!" because who really wants to listen to us as leaders if they don't believe we REALLY believe it. Moral authority is something we must EARN... and like Andy said, we cannot lead with out it!

No comments: