Thursday, January 10, 2008

chillin' with andy

Have you ever had the privilege to hang out with your hero? If you're a baller maybe it would be Jordan. If you're a computer guy maybe it would be Bill Gates. Maybe Bono or a former president. Or maybe Donald Duck if you happen to be a cartoon character... or a duck. Michael Jackson if you're... never mind.

I got the flippin' sweet privilege of hanging out with Andy Stanley one evening this past summer. Along with maybe Louie & Piper, Andy has probably had the biggest influence on my life and ministry. I've read a ton of his stuff and can't get enough! Communicating for a Change has shaped the way I communicate. 7 Practices for Effective Ministry shaped my ministry philosophy. Next Generation Leader inspired me to maximize and pursue my leadership potential. Visioneering & The Best Question Ever have also influenced me in big ways. (Put down whatever you're doing and go read one of them right now!) I've been listening to his podcasts from Northpoint for forever... needless to say it feels like I've known Andy for a long time even though we had never met.


Ridge Church is a strategic partner with Northpoint Community Church where Andy is the Pastor. So, I got to have dinner with Andy along with the Ridge staff. I ended up sitting right beside him and talking for a couple hours at Bonefish Grill. I kind of expected him to have an entourage with body guards and a limo. I expected him to be larger than life and probably too good for us crazy risk takers. WOW! This man is one of the most humble guys I have ever met! For a guy who could easily be full of pride because of all he has accomplished - it was amazing to see him filled with humility! + he's genuinely a nice guy... we had him laughing most of the night. He gave us some great advice and encouragement before Ridge ever launched. As Chris (our lead Pastor) says - "Andy says more in 10 miutes than most guys say in their whole lifetime." (Check out this video of Andy talking about Ridge.)

God has definitely given this man an amazing amount of wisdom, vision, and influence. This evening in Daytona Beach was SO cool for me. As we were leaving Andy told me he would see me later at the place we were going next & I think I said "fo shizzle" - Chris made fun of me for that... Crystal probably did too. It's a cool thing to meet your "hero"... worthy of a fo shizzle. yaknowwhati'msayin'?
GROUP SHOT!!! Andy with the staff & wives.

3 comments:

Lanny Donoho said...

patrick was desperate to have someone post something on his blog so he promised me he would buy 10 of my god's blogs book if i would comment.
So hey....yeah Andy is one of the most humble, brilliant, and heck just nice guys...you will ever meet.
It is very unusual to find such in incredible leader who is such a great guy. Glad you got to hang with him.
am so excited for your church and they way you guys are headed. Can't wait to see what all God has planned as you continue to lead others into a growing relationship with Jesus. Lanny

musicman said...

love the blog...not enough brainwaves to generate humor or brilliance....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.