Thursday, January 24, 2008

charlotte real estate & God's renown???

Check out this video from ABC news that is posted on the front page of my dad's website. Some pretty cool and crazy stuff.

The real estate market is declining all across the country... except in Charlotte, NC & a few other cities. The economy is booming in Charlotte & home prices are climbing while they are falling almost everywhere else in the country. In fact, homes are appreciating at a rate of twice the national average!!! It has always been a slow and steady growth though, unlike the markets in parts of Florida & California where eventually the "bubble popped." The market probably won't change anytime soon because of the steady growth. My dad has written more about this in the past over on his blog.

Why in the world are people moving to Charlotte? - it's an awesome place to live... why doesn't everyone want to move here? Ok, ok, if you want the facts here they are:

- Charlotte is the 2nd biggest banking city in the nation (home to BOA & Wachovia) after NYC

- 80,000 new people are moving to Charlotte every year!

- my wife works for CMC & she said the CEO told them a crazy stat when they built the new, flippin' sweet Children's hospital downtown = something about this being the top place where families with young children are moving... + the CMC website says that "half a million children live in the 28-county region surrounding Charlotte. An additional 100,000 children are projected to be born into or move into this area by the year 2015."

- I read in Mark Driscoll's book that from '95-2000 Charlotte was the #6 city in the nation that 25-34 year olds were massively migrating to from cities like LA, NYC, Miami, Boston (i HATE the red sox!!!), etc...

- and now Charlotte is the #2 destination in the country for 25-34 year olds!!! & this is the most coveted age range by cities for many reasons.

so, you're probably saying "patrick, what the heck does this have to do with God's renown?" I'm glad you asked! I was born in this city... right in the middle of downtown. Most people I meet say I'm the only native Charlottean living here. God has given me a passion for the nations, but He's also given me a passion for my hometown! In an earlier post I wrote about a movement of God in Charlotte that I am so stoked to be a part of called Ridge Church. When I watched this video from ABC news I was overwhelmed by what God is positioning us to do. It seems that Charlotte is becoming a very influential city and masses of people in their prime are moving here. I wonder if God's up to something? I'm pretty sure He is.

My heart is racing & I'm all jacked up about how God is going to advance His kingdom through Ridge and the many other rockin' churches in Charlotte who are working to spread His fame. So, I'm glad the real estate market is booming here because I'm a broker too & selling houses is cool and all... but WOW... maybe God's about to do something so much bigger than sell some property! That's what we're praying for at Ridge & I won't say anymore about it, but simply ask you to go read my pastor's blog! He recently wrote a pimp post about what we're praying for on Thursday mornings. You'll love it.


Crystal & I are heading to the mountains for the weekend with our community group. should be a lot of fun. I'll try to post some cool stuff while I'm there, but if there's no internet access then I'll bust out some pimp stuff for you guys when I get back. peace...

No comments: