Sunday, January 11, 2009

what's in my iPod? - jon foreman

You probably know Jon Foreman best as the front man for the wildly popular & successful band, Switchfoot. In fact, at Ridge today we pulled off a Switchfoot song quite rockingly.

I actually got Switchfoot's 1st CD when I was in high school. It was called The Legend of Chin and you should listen to it on iTunes if you want a quick chuckle. In fact, if you're a Switchfoot fan from this modern era you should click HERE and see the music video from the 1st "hit song" on their 2nd CD. (I think I actually still have the video somewhere... I'll show it to you if you ask.) to say the least, they've come a long way. NOTHING even remotely close to their current sound! They were a straight up surfer band. I was diggin' it back then.

But this solo project from Jon Foreman - Limbs and Branches - is straight PIMP! I love it. I can't quit listening to it! Foreman is an amazing songwriter... and not too bad of a vocalist either (sense the sarcasm). 

2 songs on the album especially blow me away. They are amazing. They play in my iPod constantly.
Jon was actually cool enough to stop by Catalyst '08 and do a couple mini concerts. That's where the pics on here are from. it was money.
+ He really rocks the "is he homeless?-or-is he a rockstar?" look quite well.

The 2 songs occupying the most airtime on my iPod lately are Your Love is Strong and Instead of a Show
Please read the lyrics to this song & just let them soak into you. Download the song & close your eyes and just listen to it. It's powerful. It's a very spiritual experience.

"Heavenly Father You always amaze me
Let your kingdom come In my world and in my life
You give me the food I need To live through the day
And forgive me as I forgive The people that wronged me
Lead me far from temptation Deliver me from the evil one

I look out the window The birds are composing
Not a note is out of tune Or out of place
I look at the meadow And stare at the flowers
Better dressed than any girl On her wedding day
So why do I worry? Why do I freak out?
God knows what I need You know what I need
Your love is
Your love is
Your love is strong


The kingdom of the heavens Is now advancing
Invade my heart Invade this broken town
The kingdom of the heavens Is buried treasure
Will you sell yourself To buy the one you've found?
Two things you told me - That you are strong
And you love me Yes, you love me
Your love is
Your love is
Your love is strong

Our God in heaven
Hallowed be Thy name above all names
Your kingdom come Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us today our daily bread
Forgive us weary sinners
Keep us far from our vices
And deliver us from these prisons

Your love is
Your love is
Your love is strong"


I love this song so much. It's straight from Scripture. It's beautiful. It's one of my favorite worship songs now. Just what I want to say to God.

*The other song that Jon says he "stole from the Bible" that I have been wearing out on this CD is Instead of a Show. Maybe you can read Isaiah 1:11-17 while you listen to the song. Or read it right after you read these lyrics. This is what God says to many of us:

I hate all your show and pretense/ The hypocrisy of your praise
The hypocrisy of your festivals/ I hate all your show
Away with your noisy worship/ Away with your noisy hymns
I stop upq my ears when you’re singing ‘em
I hate all your show

Instead let there be a flood of justice
An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice/ Instead of a show

Your eyes are closed when you’re praying
You sing right along with the band
You shine up your shoes for services
There’s blood on your hands
You turned your back on the homeless
And the ones that don’t fit in your plan
Quit playing religion games/ There’s blood on your hands

Instead let there be a flood of justice
An endless procession of righteous living, living
Instead let there be a flood of justice/ Instead of a show
I hate all your show

Let’s argue this out/ If your sins are blood red
Let’s argue this out/ You’ll be white as the clouds
Let’s argue this out/ Quit fooling around
Give love to the ones who can’t love at all
Give hope to the ones who got no hope at all
Stand up for the ones who can’t stand at all
I hate all your show/ 
I hate all your show
I hate all your show/ I hate all your show"


*This is powerful stuff. I wonder how many times God says stuff like this to us? Like I wonder how many times He's saying it on a Sunday... like today...

Thanks Jon, for ripping off lyrics from Scripture and putting tunes with them. You've got to hear these. Or, if you see me... I'll play them for you in my iPod. You can buy the CD HERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - I have Legends of Chin! I was into switchfoot long before they hit it really big. My brother actually got to hang out with Jon and jam some several years back. Jon is definitely an amazing writer and vocalist. Great review!

patrick mitchell said...

haha - that's crazy man. i loved that surfer band. whatever happened to them?