Monday, April 5, 2010

philosophy of sickness, work (& rest)...

a lot of times I work out my philosophy of something or my "theology" of a certain topic as i'm going through it. My philosophy and theology tend to be way more practical that way instead of just theoretical.

So, currently I am sick, but of course I also have to work.
I guess my philosophy of working while sick could be summed up as = "always show up if you can drag yourself to do it (unless it is harmful to you or someone else)."

Those are pretty much my practical thougths on the matter. If I'm sick (but not contagious - which would be harmful to others) then I drag myself to staff meetings on Mondays.
Yesterday morning I was pretty sick but was able to drag myself out of bed and into load in at Ridge at 6am. I functioned OK and went through all my responsibilities and I'm guessing most peeps wouldn't be able to tell that I was sick.
then i came home and crashed & rested hard the rest of the day.

This morning I woke up still sick and really wanted to stay in bed, but I always tell myself = If i lay in bed i'll just feel sick laying in bed, but if i get up and go to work i will feel sick while getting work done. May as well get some work done, right?

That's my philosophy. I try to at least do/accomplish something when I'm sick. Even if it's the easy tasks. Some things aren't worth it when you're sick, but still... you can at least do something.
Maybe this was ingrained in me from my Dad, who to my knowledge never missed 1 day of work due to sickness in all my 18 living at home?

I also put "rest" in the title because I recognize that sometimes you do just need to rest in order to get over a sickness. + I am a big time advocate of sabbath and that rest is a beautiful God-ordained & God-glorifying thing. You can read some more of my thoughts on rest/sabbath HERE and HERE.

Do you have a philosophy and/or theology of work & sickness?

No comments: