Monday, February 9, 2009

chazown (some thoughts & review)

You need to read THIS POST first. It will catch you up on the whole sequel idea, etc... Just click HERE.

Craig Groeschel actually starts off Chazown with a quote from Andy's book Visioneering. (If you're already confused then like I said, click HERE.)
I read it first in Craig's book though (sorry, Andy) and I haven't been able to get it out of my heart for almost 2 years now! = “Everyone ends up somewhere. But few people end up somewhere on purpose.” - Andy Stanley

WOW. I read that and DETERMINED that I will be one of those few people who end up somewhere on purpose. THAT's exactly what this book will help you do. End up where you want to be, so at the end of your life you can look back and be happy with all you've done. I realized that I had big visions God had put in my heart, but no specific plans and goals set to help me get there! That changed after I read this book!

Craig put my fear in these words = “If we’re not careful, we can fall dreadfully behind, trying frantically to catch up, trying to accomplish…absolutely nothing. But it doesn’t have to be that way.” I'm not going to let that happen.

Let me ask you a question that Craig asked me that continues to drive me every day... What if your life continued to change the world even after you were dead?! That's been my dream for years. I can't think of many things better than that. I'm going to spend my life making sure that happens. This book will help you do the same.

So, your chazown is GOD'S VISION for your life. Once you figure it out you know why you're taking the breath you just breathed here on this earth. Great feeling. God's vision for you is HUGE. His vision for you is BIGGER than you can imagine. You just need to find out what it is and start living it.

The 1st section of the book ends with a PIMP quote from Sir Francis Drake that goes like this = “Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves. When our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little. When we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore. Disturb us, Lord.” Awesome stuff. I actually wrote a whole post on that quote over a year ago. Just click HERE to read it and an awesome quote from Craig with his thoughts on it.

One of the coolest parts of the whole book comes next. This was an awesome idea, Craig! You write your epitaph! haha, pretty awesome. I remember doing it 1 day and my wife asked what I was doing. I was like "writing my epitaph" very matter of factly. I wish I could post a pic of her face. She thought it was pretty morbid. It's one of the most awesome things I've ever done. I'm sure I'll post it on here at some point (but I want you to write yours first). It's pretty intense and emotional and LONG. I'll need a big tombstone, haha. But I wrote from my heart about what I want to be said of me when I'm dead, what I want to have done before I die, and
how I want the world to have changed as a result of my life.
This is SUCH a powerful exercise. I see the HUGENESS of the vision God has given me and the passion He has put in me. But that alone won't make it happen... I've got to live life on purpose to end up there. Thankfully the steps in this book are helping me do that.


My wife and I are going on a mini vacation this week for Valentine's Day week (if that's a usable phrase?), but stay tuned for some more thoughts from Chazown. But, seriously if you can BUY THE BOOK HERE!

For now, what are your thoughts? What do you want written on your epitaph?

No comments: