(This was originally posted on June 15, 2009.)
Today I wanted to share with all of you the "TED Commandments" - similar to the TEN Commandments in that there are 10. But not really similar in any other way.
I LOVE checking out what's going down at TED
("TED" = technology, entertainment, design, but is also SO SO much
more). I bet you are gonna wanna check them out too if you haven't
already. Go HERE to see all the awesome talks!
They have some really really good stuff. This isn't just some little thing either... these peeps at TED are LEGIT! no doubt. they're making waves in the world and getting MANY peeps' attention.
Here's the list... in case you ever get to speak at a TED conference (or just for you to apply elsewhere)...
and it probably is worth mentioning that I think it's kind of funny
that anyone who makes a 10 commandments list thinks it has to be written
in king james english... haha]
Ok, for real this time - the list:
1. Thou Shalt Not Simply Trot Out thy Usual Shtick
2. Thou Shalt Dream a Great Dream, or Show Forth a Wondrous New Thing, Or Share Something Thou Hast Never Shared Before
3. Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion
4. Thou Shalt Tell a Story
5. Thou Shalt Freely Comment on the Utterances of Other Speakers for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy
6. Thou Shalt Not Flaunt thine Ego. Be Thou Vulnerable. Speak of thy Failure as well as thy Success
7. Thou Shalt Not Sell from the Stage: Neither thy Company, thy Goods, thy Writings, nor thy Desparate need for Funding; Lest Thou be Cast Aside into Outer Darkness
8. Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good
9. Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech
10. Thou Shalt Not Steal the Time of Them that Follow Thee
*great great stuff. love to hear some of you interact with it!
obviously I don't think it's all stuff we've gotta follow like certain other commandments, BUT I think following many of these will make me and all of us better communicators. I'm diggin the list.
I'd love to hear what you think of the TED commandments! share your thoughts...