i set up these "Rules for Dads of Daughters" in part 1 yesterday HERE. you should definitely go back and read it if you haven't.
here's the middle portion of my favorite Rules for Dads of Daughters:
17. Learn to say no. She may pitch a fit today, but someday you’ll both be glad you stuck to your guns.
[Crystal and i have ALREADY identified me as the "Softy" in the family... this will be really really hard for me to ever tell her "no".]
18. Tell her she’s beautiful. Say it over and over again. Someday an
animated movie or “beauty” magazine will try to convince her otherwise.
[yes! i resonate with this one so much. i already tell her every day, all day long. i want her to know it's the truth and that those magazines don't define her identity.]
20. Take her camping. Immerse her in the great outdoors. Watch her
eyes fill with wonder the first time she sees the beauty of wide open
spaces. Leave the iPod at home.
22. She’s as smart as any boy. Make sure she knows that.
23. When she learns to give kisses, she will want to plant them all over your face. Encourage this practice.
[i am def ready for this to start happening]
25. Letting her ride on your shoulders is pure magic. Do it now while you have a strong back and she’s still tiny.
28. She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don’t be late.
[can't wait for this. she greeted me at the door when i got home just this week. it was the most amazing feeling! :)]
30. Never miss her birthday. In ten years she won’t remember the present you gave her. She will remember if you weren’t there.
32. Let her roll around in the grass. It’s good for her soul. It’s not bad for yours either.
[i LOVED rolling around in the grass! i wonder why we ever stopped? i guess society told us we had to.
34. Somewhere between the time she turns three and her sixth
birthday, the odds are good that she will ask you to marry her. Let her
the final rules are coming in Part 3 tomorrow! they are some of the best!