Sunday, March 30, 2008

yankees & more prophecy

So, I'm excercising my gift of prophecy again & I'm gonna say that Carolina will win the National Championship on Monday night. I picked them to win it at the beginning of the year, but this is my official prophecy. Click here to see my earlier Carolina prophecy. (Hopefully you guys know I'm joking... God didn't really give me a prophetic word about a basketball game. But I AM confident the Heels will win it all!)



And that brings me to my next prophecy about the greatest team ever in the whole entire world - The New York Yankees

I am a die hard 3rd generation Yankees fanatic. My grandpa was a Yankees fan. My dad is a die hard Yankees fan. The Yankees are in my blood. When I was a baby I was decked out in Yankees gear. I LOVE the Yankees. I watch almost every Yankees game (thanks to mlb.tv & ESPN). I've got a drawer full of Yankees shirts. I am all about the Yankees.

When I was a kid it was rough being a Yankees fan. Through late 80s & early 90s we weren't too good to say the least (yeah, i was in elementary school during the early 90s). We were in the cellar of the AL East. My dad used to always be upset at Steinbrenner because he said "every time we get somebody good, he trades them away." We didn't have too many good players back then, but Don Mattingly was my hero. He was pretty much our only stud who stayed for more than a year or two. So, Donnie Baseball was my boy, Stache & all.

I suffered with the Yanks for the 1st 13 years of my life, so don't give me any of that "bandwagon fan" crap. It's in my genes. I deserved the dynasty that took place when i was in high school & we won 4 world series in 5 years! We swept like 3 of them in a row. Each of those years after we swept the series I wore my Yankees hat to school the next day and carried a broom. a couple years I even painted the big NY logo on my chest. The 1st year I did it in the mirror & it was backwards... I learned my lesson.

I remember my dad taking my on the pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium when I was 15 and splurging on 2nd row tickets behind the Yanks on-deck circle. that was pimp! we won that game 21-1 & I'll never forget it. The next day me, my mom, & my dad got to watch Roger Clemens pitch like a 3 hitter as we won the game in the bottom of the 9th 2-1. We won the series that year.

I remember being a freshman in college watching the '01 series in the bottom of my nasty old dorm with about 150 Yankee haters. 2 different games in that series the game was basically over Tino hit a 2-out homer to win it! I remember dancing on a table and shouting with everyone else hating the Yankees even more. Game 7 was the 1st time I broke curfew as I was watching the game at Ci-Ci's and was for dang sure not gonna miss the end of that game (we lost).

We haven't won a world series since I graduated high school. Maybe I'm the curse? Probably not, because I am making a prophecy that THIS YEAR the Yankees will Strike Back. Yanks will win the series this season for their 27th world championship. Go ahead and mark it down.

I'm willing to make bets on that too... just call me up. And I especially love making bets with Red Sox fans. At some point I'll post a video and some pics on here of the outcome of a bet I won with my friend Frank who is a die hard Red Sox fan. He got to wear Crystal's pink Yankees visor, my Yankees shirt that DOGS the red sox really bad (and is also much too tight), + some really snug high school baseball pants. Oh, he wore this at the office all day and in front of a whole bunch of high schoolers. Good day. Last year I lost the same bet and he painted my office red with a big red sox logo on the wall. pretty sickening. I think Satan was happy about it. Anyway, bring on the wagers about the Yankees... bring 'em on.
needless to say, I'm stoked about the Yanks starting another season this week. We had a few rehearsals for Upstreet last night, but I found some time to see parts of the Yankees season opener on mlb.tv in between. As I write this I'm watching the game tonight (that i TiVo'd) against the Blue Jays. A-rod just jacked a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 7th to get us back in the game. We're still down 3 with only 2 innings to go, but we score like crazy fools, so it's never over.

So, we'll see if my teams can run the table this year - Carolina in basketball, Yankees win the series, & hopefully Florida State can turn it around this Fall in college football. OK, 8th inning now, I gotta go put my rally cap on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude your team lost 5-2 Toronto no less.

patrick mitchell said...

I'm sure they will lose at least 50 games this year, so this loss is no big deal. Plus we usually start off pretty slow & then go crazy after the all-star break.

Anonymous said...

What ever...lol just teasing my brother from another mother :)

EZ