Wednesday, May 21, 2008

creativity, kids, and changing the way we do education

My friend Rusty had a really cool blog post yesterday. Rusty works at Ridge as our Service Programming Director. He's a genius. Not a genius like Rain Man or something, but a genius at what he does. anyway, read his blog post here.

Rusty, me, & Adam were talking this morning at the office about his post. We all thought it was fascinating. So, watch this video!!! You'll love this guy's British accent & he is flippin' hilarious... you'll be cracking up for sure.


I absolutely agree with what this guy is saying! I think something MUST fundamentally change with the way we do education. I've had similar thoughts but still don't know exactly how to put it into words. This guy really gets me fired up. Maybe you have thoughts on the subject too. Feel free to discuss them in the comments section. I just feel like I want to help do something about this for the sake of my kids (and their kids).

Honestly I think I resonate with this because I was the ADD posterchild & education tried to "fix" me. Not that I was crazy gifted or anything, just different than what schools try to produce. I think lots of kids are like that and far more gifted than me. But like this guys says "we're educating children out of their creativity." I was also inspired to return to that crazy little ADD kid still in me when he said "if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original." Simple, but so profound. HUGE implications for the church! Huge implications for all of society really & could seriously change the way the world funtions over the next 50 years. anyone have any thoughts?

2 comments:

dubbe said...

Great post, Patrick! Thanks for posting. I watched it last night and had to keep stopping the clip just to write down Ken's quotes. Unfortunately, I don't have anything profound to add or discuss. Ken's talk was very revealing and thought provoking. I digg it!

Anonymous said...

This was great. I have recently become a disciple of Robert Kiyosaki. His thoughts in the early 90's about the educational system and how it teaches students not to fail really connected with me.

Keep posting this stuff man. Its great!