Wednesday, May 14, 2008

found it!

whoohoo! found my Drive notebook today. I guess I get the $1 reward.

I'm just going to jump right in to some of the best takeaways from the conference - starting with Andy's last main session. As I said before he had an entire leadership talk planned but scrapped it in order to share the things he is currently wrestling through. so cool. I love that! it was kinda like "Andy unplugged". We all got to peak inside his head for an hour.

He gave us 6 quotes that were causing him to reevaluate, think, dream, etc... here they are, Andy's "Random Thoughts on Church & Leadership":

1 "To reach people no one else is reaching, we must do things no one else is doing." - Craig Groeschel
my first thought was that it's straight up pimp that Andy quotes Craig! Our lead pastor shared the same reaction in staff meeting Monday morning. Super humble of Andy to quote a young & revolutionary leader when you know Andy could have quoted himself on this one. no ego there. (by the way - if you haven't read Craig's book Chazown yet... what are you doing still reading this blog!!! Go buy it here & read it ASAP! it's in my all-time top 5.)

Andy said he's constantly looking at peeps outside the church and asking - "what about them? who's reaching them?" he said "I've gotta let it bother me until I figure it out!" (even if you're "successful").
Andy's Takeaway = "Become preoccupied with who you haven't reached as opposed to who you're trying to keep." (hmmm... that sounds really familiar... like it goes with one of our 7 practicesor something?)



2 "The next generation product almost never comes from the previous generation." - Al Reis, Focus
How true is this one!?!! SOMEBODY is gonna figure out the next generation of what ministry is gonna look like & it's probably not gonna be a bunch of 60 year old deacons (no offense), it's gonna be someone from my generation. here was a genius comment Andy made = "the older generation has all the resources, so when the next generation figures out the next generation of how to do ministry the older generation can fight it or they can fund it!" So true & I love it! Andy included himself in this one (as he just turned 50). He knows there's stuff he won't like coming out of my generation, BUT he said we've gotta have some old vet leaders who will say "I don't like it & I don't get it... but I'll fund it."
***gem of a quote by Andy = "You can be so cautious you're irrelevant."
Andy's Takeaway = "Be a STUDENT, not a critic."

- RIGHT ON to that Andy! way too many "Christian leaders" out there criticizing other peeps trying to make things happen for the sake of the kingdom. I'm pretty freakin' sick of it & it was cool to hear that Andy is too. this has been a motto of mine for a while = "I'll learn something from EVERYBODY!"


OK, the rest of them are shorter, but I'm going to post them tomorrow. I can't wait for #3!!! you don't want to miss it either. It's definitely Andy's cutting edge thoughts which are the stuff that's just about to explode in the church world...

2 comments:

ethan welch said...

glad you got to experience some "drive" bro. andy is definitely pimp. i'm personally reaching people now that i wasn't over the past few years. it not that i changed my methods, but i changed my context and dove into a new environment with new people who are far from God. i love it man. conversations almost every day with unbelievers about life, purpose, and religion.

Kelvin said...

Dude, your a p i m p! i enjoy reading your blog, keep hittin me wit fresh stuff!