Tuesday, May 13, 2008

drive - off the top of my head

that's right, I still haven't found my notebook from Drive '08 that contained all those pages of all my precious thoughts & ideas from the conference. There are some sweet takeaways in there!!! so, I'm offering a $1 reward to anyone who finds it. cash money.

Today I'm just going to try to download some of the general thoughts I had from the conference off the top of my head (not from my notes). Oh & btw - here's a pic of our group from Ridge at the Drive conference.

- *My #1 thought (which Rusty also shared in staff meeting Monday) was that this was one of the 1st conferences I've been to that EVERYTHING that was presented & that I learned I could immediately return home and implement. You have no idea how HUGE that is. I have never been in a context like that before & it is such a breath of fresh air. Usually all of us young, naive guys go to these conferences & get all pumped up to rock our churches when we get back with all the great things we've learned... only to return to our broke system in which it can't even be done. Then we learn to go to conferences and hear great ideas and say "yeah, that's great, but it will never fly at my church." I honestly can't explain to you how awesome & freeing it is to work in a system that isn't broken & be able to implement great ideas. (fyi - this isn't a slam on anybody just a slam on broke systems that people are for some crazy reason dedicated to.)

- Andy's 1st talk had a BIG impact on me. He talked about 2 gifts that every staff member must give each other = trust & trustworthiness. It was an amazing talk and inspired me to be absolutely trustworthy as well as give the gift of trust to everyone I work with (always give them the benefit of the doubt). Just think for a moment... how amazing would it be to work in a context like that?!? There would really be NO problems on church staffs today if each staff member gave everyone those 2 gifts = trusting them & being trustworthy.

- I learned (was reminded really) that I work for a great leader. it's a huge privilege to work for Chris Brown. He's too humble to say it, but he is a remarkable leader. Specifically at this conference I was reminded of this in every main session with Andy Stanley. He was giving talks to over 2,000 pastors & telling them things to do in order to be a great leader, how to effectively lead a staff, etc... Everything he said are things I see Chris do consistently. It was like Chris was up there giving the talk. Man that is awesome! I can work with a lot of confidence knowing that's the kind of leader I'm following.

- One of the coolest things was Andy's last talk. Actually he trashed the talk he had planned for the last session and did something REALLY cool. He shared with all of us 5-6 things that are going on in his brain RIGHT NOW. Stuff he's wrestling with and trying to figure out currently. Safe to say this stuff is the cutting edge! Too much to share here, so I'm gonna save it for another post - hopefully my very next post if I find the notebook! (remember... there's still an outstanding $1 reward on that thing.)

No comments: