Thursday, November 19, 2009

blink

I'm "reading" Blink in my car currently by Malcolm Gladwell. This is the 1st audiobook I've listened to NOT on my iPod. Actually... it's on cassette tape!
What? did you think my Caddy had a CD player?

I've got a new notebook to write my notes in too... it's just too painful to go back and redo all those notes I already had so soon. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about you can click HERE.)

I'm a big Malcolm Gladwell fan and am excited about learning from this book. The subtitle of Blink is The Power of Thinking without Thinking. Pretty intriguing, eh?
Here are the 3 admitted tasks of Blink:

1   to help me understand that "Decisions made very quickly can be every bit as good as decisions made cautiously and deliberately."

2   To figure out when I can trust that instant unconscious and when I can't. Malcolm says it IS possible to learn when to listen to this "internal computer" in our unconscious and when not to.

3   To convince me that my snap judgments and 1st impressions can be educated and controlled. -> Malcolm says this is the most important task of Blink.

"Just as we can teach ourselves to think logically and deliberately, we can also teach ourselves to make better snap judgments." That's why I'm reading the book...
*The power of knowing in that 1st few seconds is not a gift for a lucky few, but it's an ability we can all cultivate for ourselves.

Any thoughts from this opening synopsis of Blink?

No comments: