Friday, November 20, 2009

quotes of the week #15

Here we go with some awesome quotes of the week. You can read my original disclaimer for this segment here. Enjoy!

#1 Quote of the week:

I think we’re wiser to immerse ourselves in Jesus’ worldview rather than drag Him into ours.” - Brian McLaren (author, former pastor & movement leader) [This is a much needed word for the modern Church. myself included.]

"Giving God anything less than all I am proves I haven't really seen him at all." - Louie Giglio [wow. so true isn't it. stuff like that is why this guy is my favorite...]

“Whatever your heart clings to and confides in, that is really your God.” – Martin Luther [hopefully he needs no intro... what a great definition of what our God is. still speaks to us 500 years later.]

"The purpose of your life at work is to show that God is at work in your life" - Jeff Henderson (campus pastor @ Buckhead Church - a North Point Campus) [from the current series there "@work". brilliant series from a brilliant man!]

"Two simple things show our priorities in life: our bank account and our calendar." – Jud Wilhite (pastor, author, & co-founder of Deadly Viper!) [I've got to be constantly called to look at these 2 parts of my life!]

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson (famous dead guy author) [Mr. Emerson, I only disagree that THESE GO TOGETHER. THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS TO BE HAPPY, BUT THAT WILL ONLY TRULY COME THROUGH THESE OTHER THINGS YOU MENTIONED & JESUS...]

“Let’s be and do what we’re asking people to be and do.” – Chris Brown (my lead pastor @ Ridge Church) [A great challenge to us in staff meeting on Monday]

“Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” – Margaret Thatcher (famous british Queen or Prime Minister or something?) [right on Queen M]

"When the leader blames the follower for not following, the leader has ceased to lead" - Andy Stanley (lead pastor of North Point & author) [dang! this could have easily been the #1 quote of the week if it weren't so convicting to me!]

“I am surrounded by unbelieving activists and inactive believers. Where are the true Christians?” - Shane Claiborne (ordinary radical & author) [I feel ya Shane... but I think things are changing now... I hope]

“Isn’t it awesome to worship a God we can’t exaggerate.” – Francis Chan (pastor & author) [isn't it awesome that this is true!?!? so cool... nothing we can say would be too exaggerated for Him! We couldn't even if we tried!]

No comments: