Wednesday, March 17, 2010

leadership coaching thoughts #1

I'm coming up on the 2nd month of my 6 month stint in a leadership coaching network with Tony Morgan. I wrote a little about it yesterday - HERE.

This post is my first go at sharing my takeaways, thoughts, & action steps from the coaching meetings. (This helps me process what I'm learning & hopefully you might pick something up from it as well.)

Discussion on Influence
*Attitude is a really big deal! It’s easy for us to hold peeps accountable to morality and
spiritual disciplines, and their performance, etc… BUT difficult to hold them accountable with their attitudes. We say “that’s just who they are/ who God made them to be.” = [this is so true! Why do we do this?]
We need to have high expectations for our peeps’ attitude. Especially with the peeps closest to us! Because others associate their attitude with ME & my leadership! (it’s critical that staff & leaders have awesome attitudes.) this is HUGE! Church staffs have got to step up in this area!

*This is scary, but I'm glad someone warned me! = the more confident I get as a leader it’s easy to move from a servant leader to a powerful/pushy leader. I dread that & don't want to become that! God, please let me always be a humble leader & a servant leader!

*I want people around me who will tell me what my blind spots are! If there's a running joke around the office about a weakness/flaw of mine, then that's not cool. I need to have someone tell ME so I can do something about it! 

*We gotta lead by example. Let others see how to live life from watching my daily life. I want them to be imitators of me, so I gotta give them something awesome to imitate.

*"we gotta live out the gospel message if we want anyone to hear us saying it." that was an awesome statement, Tony!

*Some intense Questions I am going to consistently ask myself!
How am I influencing people around me? (1 Thessalonians 2:9-12)
Do I see myself in people around me? **Because that's what leadership ultimately is!
Do I like what I see? (i.e. is what's rubbing off on them GOOD?)

*Something I've already implemented from one of our discussions is to put time with people/relationships on the TO DO LIST! Some of my days are simply spent pouring into leaders, but none of the tasks get marked off the to-do list... so I get FRUSTRATED and feel like I accomplished nothing. I'm starting to put "people time" down on the to-do list, so I won't feel like I need to be accomplishing something different.

**One of the biggest things I took to heart was something Tony probably just meant to say in passing. He talked about how he kept thinking of himself as a "young leader" who had so much to learn and he was still in that growing phase... Of course, this will always be true of all great leaders = we'll always be learning and growing, BUT we can't let that hold us back from pouring into and leading others! My lead pastor has encouraged me to make this shift many times! I am trying to take it to heart... to pour out what's in my cup so others might be able to benefit from it if possible.

*Tony talked about the concept of "Killing Cockroaches" which was awesome! There were a lot of great takeaways for me & 2 big ones that I have started implementing already, BUT... I'm going to post about that another time since this post is already too long.

I'm stoked to meet again with the Coaching network this weekend. Excited to learn what God has for me to learn and GROW a lot as a leader!
 And of course I'll be posting my takeaways again!

No comments: