Wednesday, April 23, 2008

top 10 list

The list is finally here! (click here for the setup blog & my honorable mentions). Today is 6-10.
after years of much deliberation...

10 Gladiator (2000 Academy Award for Best Picture and Best Actor for Russell Crowe) - This is my 2nd favorite "Epic" of all time. This great movie is packed full of action, tugs at your heart, and enthralls you for over 2 and a half hours. Great story too of the warrior Maximus (Crowe) who was chosen to become the next emporer of the Roman Empire only to be betrayed and enslaved, and then become a Gladiator.




9 Armageddon (1998) - this movie is ridiculously funny! Chicks like it because it's got that whole love story part and there are definitely some tear-jerking moments in this awesome story; but make no mistake - this movie is a lot of fun & funny and that's why it made my top 10. (An all-star cast of Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Owen Wilson, Liv Tyler, Billy Bob Thornton, etc... doesn't hurt)

8 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - lost the Academy Award for Best Picture to Forrest Gump that year, but is consistently showing up in lists of the greatest movies of all time. This movie is brilliant and I love it. Not a lot of action and not a lot of humor, just a brilliant story of hope that I can watch any day of the week.

7 Top Gun (1986) - This was my favorite movie from the time I first saw it at like 6 years old... I LOVED this movie as a kid (and still do). I sang every song and I definitely wanted to be Ice Man and Maverick. The clip below was always my favorite scene from the movie...

6 - Die Hard 1-4 (1988-2007) - It's impossible for me to separate these 4, so I include them here on my list as one tetralogy. In my opinion, these are the greatest "tough guy" action movies EVER! John McClane (Bruce Willis) is a straight up PIMP! He's the only "tough guy" I ever wanted to be as a kid (and still want to be him). Halfway through every movie he's always been shot twice, bleeding all over, missing his shoes, wearing half a shirt, etc... he's just a scrapper and I love it. He does things his way not worrying about "protocol" (very similar to Jack Bauer in this respect from the greatest TV show ever - 24). He's so sarcastic too which I love and has always brought a smile to my face. If I had to narrow it down I guess the 1st & 4th ones are my favorites - those are Bruce Willis' 2 favs as well. (the 1st clip below is a trailer for the first 3 Die Hards, and the second clip is the trailer from the most recent 4th - Live Free or Die Hard) Yipee Ki Yay!



No comments: