Wednesday, December 17, 2008

john & africa & joy & peace

I hung out with John today. He grew up at Alexander Graham & then Myers Park High School here in Charlotte. He's lived here all his life.
Now, he lives on the streets. John is homeless. We hung out today at my friend Todd's expression of the kingdom I've told you all about before (most recently HERE.) 

John lives behind the Circle K a few blocks from Fuel Pizza uptown. He's a real guy with real problems. He is a Dallas Cowboys fan and doesn't like the Panthers! (don't worry, I gave him a hard time about that!) He wears a really ugly Christmas sweater that I'm sure someone gave him. It looked warm though and I'm sure that will come in handy this time of year sleeping behind the Circle K... Even right now, John is probably trying to go to sleep. I'm sure it's cold and wet.

I just tried to love John today. John is a happy guy. John has more joy & peace than half the people I bump into this time of year who are making serious coin compared to John but are stressed out of their mind because of their circumstances.

Then I got home and watched this video on my friend's facebook page.


Thanks Natalie.
I lived in Africa for a few months back in '03. In Botswana. I stayed in the bush in a tiny little village called Mochudi. I lived in a little house with Charles. He and his wife had 3 kids and that was about it. I spent $50 for them at the "grocery store" one day and it was more than enough for us all for like a month. They were one of the happiest families I've ever met. and they had NOTHING.
(I need to write a lot about my time in Africa on here some time soon!)

*I met thousands and thousands of people when I lived in Botswana and even Zambia for a while. Constant joy & peace. Like crazy! Still haven't seen anything like it. This video above is right on. I'm amazed by that reality. I'm humbled. I have joy & peace tonight. How could I not. 
I am SO thankful and blessed!

No comments: