Tuesday, December 9, 2008

our thanksgiving with some of my fav peeps

I'm really behind on blogging as you can probably tell as I'm just now writing what I wanted to write the day after Thanksgiving. I'm so backed up it's crazy. I've got like 35 half written blogs sitting in the edit file. I've got a CD review in there that came out 9/2. pretty ridiculous how busy life can get.

Anyway, Crystal had to work this Thanksgiving. We did get to spend the morning with my parents and my grandma though. that was really cool.

But what we got to do on Wednesday was really special. It's something I've done many times before but it was really special because my wife was with me. She had been saying she wanted to go with me and what better time than the day before Thanksgiving.
We went downtown like I do many Wednesdays to Fuel pizza where my friend Todd is EVERY Wednesday to feed as many homeless men & women as possible. Pretty awesome. I've written about it before HERE and HERE.

Todd has been running this deal for over a year. He's a great guy and goes to Ridge Church. It's not just Ridge representing there now... There are volunteers from Ridge, City Church, MorningStar (in Fort Mill), and Nexus Church. Pretty awesome.

Fuel was packed. The cool part about this day was that we had more than just pizza to give away. When Todd told everyone they would get 2 slices of pizza + a cookie and a drink (instead of the normal 1 slice & drink)
EVERYONE'S eyes LIT UP like a little kid if you told them the tooth fairy and Santa were coming to take them on a trip to Disney World or something. Crystal noticed it right away. That was a pretty cool thing.

But it was more than just food. We had bags and bags and bags of Winter coats, sweaters, shoes, socks, scarves, blankets, etc.. etc... to give away to all of these people sleeping on the streets of Charlotte in some pretty cold weather. Neither Todd or I are the most organized people in the world, so Crystal jumped in and had all the clothes organized in stacks pretty quickly and took charge to handle distributing them evenly to everyone who needed them. My wife has never looked so beautiful to me. Well, there have been a few times, but she was really hot standing there working to serve the poor! Working to serve Jesus (Matthew 25).

They were so thankful. They were so happy. I wanted to cry. Cry for joy at seeing how happy we could make them with some simple coats. I've got like 8 coats. That's ridiculous. I should never buy another coat ever again. I think I'm pretty much good to go.

There weren't that many ladies who needed stuff on this particular day, so Crystal got to hook this one woman up with like 2 bag loads of stuff! It was like a free shopping spree for her. She was grinning like crazy with the new blankets, coats, and scarves! Crystal was pretty excited.

we just straight up love them. Just like Jesus said to do. 

hmmmm... what have I done on a day off for Thanksgiving before. Watch football? play xbox? eat too much. yeah, this was WAY more fun... feeding and clothing Jesus is always pretty fun. You should come with us some time.

1 comment:

Brian Norris said...

If I'm ever in town when you go- I'd love to join you.
Laura and me are in Dec. 24-28.