Sunday, December 14, 2008

what's in my iPod? - tomlin: Hello Love

I've had this review in my drafts to publish about this CD ever since it came out on September 2nd... I can't believe this has been in the holding tank for all these months! I figured I better write this before the end of the year or just not even bother.

Earlier this week I wrote a little prep post for this - about the label and movement that put Tomlin on the map. You can read it HERE.

(Disclaimer: I think Chris Tomlin is possibly the greatest song writer the Church has EVER seen! His songs are BY FAR the most sung in worship around the world today. I'm a big fan.)
I have to be completely honest (because this blog is built on honesty... no wait, that's marriage... ok, my blog can be built on honesty too) - this is not one of Tomlin's best CDs. And that's why I haven't been in a rush to review it for the past 2 months. honestly, it Just Now made it on my iPod. BUT, in total fairness to Chris, it is almost impossible to live up to his last 2 records + all the live stuff from Passion... that stuff was straight up AMAZING. So, when he comes out with something like this that is GOOD... it feels just mediocre.

I hope that makes sense. This CD is far from "bad", it's just not on the level of Arriving and See the Morning. Seriously, this guy has given us our words for worship this decade with stuff like Indescribable, Holy is the Lord, How Great Is Our God, Enough, We Fall Down, Famous One, Forever, Your Grace Is Enough, Not to Us, Let God Arise, and Glory in the Highest. That's quite a list!

Of course, everyone was familiar with a few songs that Tomlin had been using to lead worship for several months before the CD released such as...
Sing, Sing, Sing, Jesus Messiah, and God Of This City.
You might remember a few months ago I wrote an entire post on God of This City - you can read it HERE. The song was actually written by the band Bluetree from Ireland & Tomlin has popularized it. But again, you can read all about the amazing story behind this song HERE.

Sing, Sing, Sing has been one of the more popular songs from Tomlin at all of the regional Passion events over the past year. I'm not a huge fan of it honestly. It's great lyrics... it's just not my favorite. And then if you've been anywhere near a Christian radio station in the past year you've definitely heard Jesus Messiah. The lyrics are so true =
"Jesus Messiah/ Name above all names
Blessed Redeemer/ Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners/ The ransom from Heaven
Jesus Messiah/ Lord of all
- I just love Tomlin's use of "Name above all names" in his worship songs. That's beautiful to me! (Think How Great is Our God from Arriving). he actually employs this phrase again in track #7 Praise the Father, Praise the Son:
"Clothed in power and in grace/ The name above all other names"

So, my favorite NEW song on the CD (excluding the ones above) is definitely the 3rd track = You Lifted Me Out. It was actually written by Chris, Redman, AND Louie. It's so catchy and upbeat & just fun. Pretty rockin'. In fact, It's the next song on the docket we're going to teach the kids in Upstreet in January!
You lifted me out/ You lifted me out
And set me dancing, dancing
Free, now I am free/ Your love rescued me
Now it's the anthem I'm singing.... (Nananananananana)

I really like I Will Rise and My Deliverer that are super simple choruses that just highlight Tomlin's extremely pure voice. Great worshipful stuff.

God Almighty has such an awesome sound in parts and also has a simple chorus praising God almighty for His holiness. There is a phat violin part that straight up rocks. Seriously you've got to hear it. And a bridge where everything drops out but the piano and it sounds sweet.

The song I was most excited to hear was track #6 = Love
I was excited because right there on the back of the CD it said this song is "with Watoto Children's Choir" from Africa. I Love listening to African Children's Choirs. LOVE it. takes me back to when I was there. love listening to this track.

So, you can go buy the CD HERE. It's definitely worth buying. good stuff to listen to over Christmas.

(Some more lyrics from this album...)
Sing, Sing, Sing
"We will sing, sing, sing And make music with the heavens
We will sing, sing, sing Grateful that You hear us
When we shout your praise Lift high the name of Jesus
What's not to love about You? Heaven and earth adore You
Kings and kingdoms bow down Son of God, You are the One
You are the One we're living for
You are the love that frees us You are the light that leads us
Like a fire burning Son of God, You are the one
You are the one we're living for"


Jesus, Messiah
He became sin Who knew no sin 
That we might become His Righteousness 
He humbled himself and carried the cross 
Love so amazing Love so amazing 
Jesus Messiah Name above all names 
Blessed Redeemer Emmanuel 
The rescue for sinners The ransom from Heaven 
Jesus Messiah Lord of all 
His body the bread His blood the wine 
Broken and poured out all for love 
The whole earth trembled And the veil was torn 
All I hope is in You All I hope is in You 
All the glory to You, God The light of the world 


I Will Rise
There's a peace I've come to know Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul I can say "It is well"
Jesus has overcome And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won He is risen from the dead
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise I will rise
There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"


LOVE
When our hope is hard to find And our faith is in decline
We need a cause to stand behind - love
We all want the way it feels Time it comes and time it steals
What remains, what is real - love
There is love There is forgiveness
There is love in times of need
When life is cold there is a promise
You will never go without... There is love
It heals the sick Comforts the weak
Breaks the proud Raises the meek
In this life no guarantees...
Love is the answer Love will find a way
When we love one another It's a brighter day
O-kwa-ga-la-kwe,
Ku-singa-byoo-na,
Bwe-twa-ga-la-na-o-lu-na-ku-lu-suu-fu


Praise The Father Praise The Son
O sov'reign God, O matchless King-
the saints adore, the angels sing and fall before the throne on grace
to you belongs the highest praise.
These sufferings, this passing tide under Your wings I will abide,
and every enemy shall flee; You are my hope and victory.
Praise the Father, Praise the Son. Praise the Spirit, Three in One.
Clothed in power and in grace the name above all other names.
To the valley, for my soul; Thy great descent has made me whole!
You word my heart has welcomed home; now peace like water ever flows.

Yours is the kingdom, yours is the power.
Your is the glory forever. Yours is the kingdom,
yours is the power. Your is the glory forever.

My Deliverer
I will wait for You to move For Your mighty hand to save
When the trouble water rise You are my hiding place
You are my hiding place
You walls are salvation Your gates are praise
My Deliverer My Deliverer My Deliverer Is the Lord
Who is like You mighty God
Who can take me from Your hand
As I walk with You in freedom
You're the Rock on which I stand

With Me
I open my mouth and You speak for me
You move the mountains and roll back the sea
I will not be afraid I will never be ashamed
For You are with me You are with me
I've seen enough to know That You're my only hope
I don't want to go If You're not with me
We open our hands and You reach for us
You are the motion of the universe


Exalted (Yahweh)
Exalted, he is exalted On high, he is exalted
Great is the Lord, let all the nations say
Exalted, he is exalted
Blessing and honor
Glory and power unto the Lord be praised
Sing with a chorus resounding before us
Holy is his name, his name 
Yahweh, holy is your name

God Almighty
Like the water's roar Is Your voice, O Lord
There is none before And none beside
You are set apart You alone are God
Your glory reaches far From sky to sky
Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty
Early in the morning we will sing
Holy, Holy, we bow down before Thee
All Your children love to sing Your name
God Almighty
You're the breath of life You're the God on high
Your song shall rise And never pass away
O, Your Majesty Evermore shall be
The earth, the skies, the sea
Shall bring You praise
And I hide my eyes With my face to the ground
In the presence of Your Majesty
And I clap my hands And I lay my crowns
In the presence of Your Majesty


All The Way My Savior Leads Me
All the way my Savior leads me Who have I to ask beside
How could I doubt His tender mercy 
Who through life has been my guide
All the way my Savior leads me Cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me grace for every trial Feeds me with the living Bread
You lead me and keep me from falling
You carry me close to Your heart
And surely Your goodness and mercy will follow me
All the way my Savior leads me O, the fullness of His love
O, the sureness of His promise In the triumph of His blood
And when my spirit clothed immortal Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages Jesus led me all the way

No comments: