Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time Magazine = TOP 10 Ideas Changing the World right now!

I don't subscribe to TIME magazine, but I like to check it out every once in a while to see what they say is going on in the world. Pretty crazy article out currently called "10 Ideas Changing the World Right Now"

Are you intrigued? I DEFINITELY was! That's pretty big stuff. BUT, then I saw #3!!!
See it for yourself HERE.
The 3rd most influential idea they say is changing the world right now (according to TIME) is "The New Calvinism"!!!

WOW! That's incredible. This reformed resurgence has made the cover of Christianity Today a few times recently, and been the topic of some recent books... but now TIME magazine!!?? Now you know it's legit!

Because of Piper's big influence in my life [read a little about it HERE] especially in my early 20s I used to be FIRMLY a part of this movement. I'm definitely not against them now... just "moved on" maybe? Not sure what's the best way to define it.

Honestly, I think any movement with some decent theology and crazy passion behind it and a love for the nations and somewhat culturally relevant would have captured the heart of my generation. This happened to be the first movement to win my generation over. I am glad for it.
In my opinion, Piper got the ball rolling with this movement, although he's not "cool" or "culturally relevant" in the typical sense... I think of him as "cool" though & I don't really know why? Anyway, now some other great guys have come to the forefront as well = Driscoll [and really the whole Acts 29 network], Tim Keller, Mohler, Stetzer, Chandler, C.J. Mahaney, etc...

I used to be "Calvinist" for sure... now I think that any "theological system" is an oxymoron. If a man makes a system and puts God in it to understand Him better, it CAN'T be a "God thing" because a man made it up. That doesn't mean it's a "bad thing"... just a system some man came up with.

Anyway - you can read these couple of Driscoll's posts HERE and HERE where he shares his thoughts about the TIME article including his thoughts on the differences between this "New Calvinism" and the classic calvinism... worth reading for sure (most stuff he writes is).

[p.s. - speaking of this... I think everything Piper writes/has written is worth reading. And so does (stream of consciousness warning!) Rob Bell who said in his 1st book that all his readers should "go read everything John Piper has ever written." Anyway, as I've said before, Piper's not about the money. He makes all his books available for whatever you can afford & many of them are FREE. I already downloaded his brand new book for FREE. You can get download his brand new one - Finally Alive - HERE.]

No comments: