Wednesday, August 20, 2008

john mayer concert last night & some thoughts on the world changing

so, crystal is all about John Mayer. she listens to him a lot. I'm not all that into him. I can tell that he's a talented musician, but his stuff just isn't my style really. BUT, I am also a good husband (i try to be anyway). and THAT's the dilemma I faced when Crystal heard John Mayer was coming to town & tix were like $40. I def. didn't wanna pay that for a concert I didn't even care to go to.

So, THANKFULLY Crystal WON 2 tickets on the radio. can't beat free. Last night I went to see John Mayer because I love my wife. (ended up seeing several Ridge-ers & other peeps I knew too.) The really crazy & interesting part to me was who was opening for him = Paramore! That's pretty crazy. Their styles are nothing alike. I did enjoy Paramore last night. good show. There's something about those girl rockers that is pretty fun & brings a whole different vibe to the show & they've got a sweet sound. I tried to get a good pic for the blog but they all wouldn't quit headbanging, so they're all just blurry. haha.

John Mayer was pretty good last night. I mean, he's gotta be doing something right because he has dated the likes of Jennifer Love Hewitt, Cameron Diaz, & most recently Jennifer Aniston. I'm not good at figuring this kind of thing out, but I'm guessing he must be pretty good looking. Crystal took less than a millisecond to confirm my guess when I asked her. (although I liked his old big hair better. with his head shaved now he looked like Rob Thomas.) He has like a million die hard fans... who all seemed to be in Charlotte last night at the show. He did do his increasingly popular version of Free Fallin'. It was pretty fun, but I still like Tom Petty's version better.

But obviously Mayer's most popular & most recognizable song is Waitin' On The World to Change. I like the song. It's catchy. I like his assessment that the world needs to change (because it DOES!)... but it stirs something in me every time I hear it. I wish I could talk with him about it. here's the lyrics for you to read yourself & actually, just go ahead and sing along... you know you want to:

Me and all my friends We're
 all misunderstood 
They say we stand for nothing and There's no
 way we ever could 
Now we see everything that's going wrong With the world and those who lead it 
We just feel like we don't have the means To rise above and beat it 

So we keep waiting (waitin') Waiting on the world to change 
We keep on waiting (waitin') Waiting on the world to change 

Now if we had the power To bring our neighbors home from war 
They would have never missed a Christmas No more ribbons on their door 
And when you trust your television What you get is what you got 
Cause when they own the information, oh They can bend it all they want 

It's not that we don't care, We just know that the fight ain't fair 
So we keep on waiting (waitin') Waiting on the world to change 

And we're still waiting (waitin') Waiting on the world to change 
We keep on waiting (waitin') waiting on the world to change 
One day our generation Is gonna rule the population 
So we keep on waiting (waitin') Waiting on the world to change... 


i'm with you John, that it needs to change, but i'm not waitin'... i'm gonna do something about it. & I think there's a whole generation who wants to do something about it too! We CANNOT sit around and wait - no matter how unfair the fight is. waiting just isn't an option. let's go change it. & I'm pretty sure Jesus has a revolution in mind for changing this world. & I'm on board with THAT. so, John, why don't you join us?

4 comments:

Ryan G. Smith said...

oh man Patrick you need to get on the Mayer train! Find the John Mayer Trio album...John Mayer, Steve Jordan, Pino Palladino...greatness. That album will put hair on your chest and show you the real Mayer. This other crap, "Daughters" and "Waitin on the World", "Body is a Wonderland"...that's how he makes money...but the other stuff...man that is rock and roll at its finest, channeling Clapton and Hendrix...gotta love it. =) You would like girly rock group Paramore! haha...just playing!!!! =)

patrick mitchell said...

i know man. you're quoting what he said last night at the concert. i know he's in the footsteps of clapton, hendrix, dave matthews & all those guys who are the best in the world. i guess i just need somethin' a little more exciting most of the time. yaknowwhati'msayin'?
& bro... that girl can rock man... that's pretty pimp. mayer said she's "the best singer i've ever heard."

musicman said...

The change Jesus has in mind...yes..with you 100%...and don't count us in the older generation out of the action. We are not dead and want a piece of it. Keep the message going!

Anonymous said...

The CHANGE is coming and His Name is Jesus Christ...One day He is going to take this old messed up sin cursed earth and make it NEW, He is going to CHANGE it...can't wait for that Change, it is really the only true change this world needs. In the mean time I want to be apart of a change John seems to not have, his HEART needs to be changed. We can do a lot of change to make people more comfortable in their sin but let's not compromise the message of the Gospel in our helping with social change. Let's bring about real lasting change in giving out the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who tells us to preach an unpopular message, repent, accept Christ alone for salvation believe the truth, not the lie.

EZ