Thursday, August 21, 2008

my wife is an olympics freak!

yes. it's true.
my wife is an olympics FREAK!
but, my wife doesn't seem to be the only female with this issue. I am a student of culture "by hobby" (as opposed to "by trade" - what a goofy phrase... maybe a discussion for another blog). & I have noticed TONS of females talk about how much they LOVE the olympics. they watch it all day long. they watched the WHOLE opening ceremony deal (which was pretty impressive, btw). they
 are freaks for michael phelps (who can blame them, right?) & misty may & all them. I see the facebook & twitter status' of females updated constantly with stuff like "so&so says phelps is my hero" or "so&so is watching USA kick butt in women's weight lifting" or "so&so loves watching U.S. men's handball" & all sorts of crazy stuff.

So, being the student of culture that I am - I have also noticed that guys aren't AS MUCH into the olympics. it's not like a wholesale guy thing. for girls it seems to be somewhat nostalgic. it's like being with the family on the 4th of July or Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner memories or something. It's like something big to them. Crystal cheers like crazy for the U.S. in every event. & I'm seeing that lots of women do too.

So, I watch them with her. I would say I'm an average fan of the olympics. but I enjoy seeing her enjoy something. I think most guys are like this. They would watch a little bit, but they're not freaks for the olympics. But, I'm glad she wouldn't let me miss a single Michael Phelps race this
olympics. I saw every single one. & of course the best by a meter (haha... olympic jargon for ya) was the Men's relay 4x200 freestyle where that Lezak guy made like the flippin' craziest comeback EVER! I'm pretty sure there's not a person in America who hasn't seen the end of that race, but in case you 
missed it you can watch it by clicking HERE. it is AMAZING. craziest comeback I've ever seen in swimming & the coolest celebration & sheer excitement from Michael and the other guys after they won!
& then Phelps breaks the all time gold medal record & now the 
most gold medals (8) in 1 olympics. hats off to that guy... he is pretty much the new epitome of PIMP. new vocab is constantly being developed like "phelpsian feat", etc...
& congrats to Misty May & Kerri Walsh for winning GOLD last night in beach volleyball!

[oh, & I just have to add that the nike commercial that's on a thousand times a day during the olympics has THE catchiest song I've heard lately. It's the bridge from that older song from theKillers... go ahead, sing it with me - "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier..."]

anyway, back to the female/male thing. I want to hear from YOU to see if my theory is correct. 
GIRLS - are you a big olympics fan? & WHY? (nostalgia? good childhood memories?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah im all about em. i been watching every night till 12 or 1. needless to say, its been a long 2 weeks...