Thursday, February 21, 2008

DC or bust

Road trip with my wife bright & early tomorrow morning to our nation's capitol. that's right... Charlotte
to DC. we've never been & we're staying til Monday. Crystal's got a list of stuff she wants to see, but the only thing I wanna see is that big monument where Jenny & Forrest Gump met up again by the big pool of water. "Me & Jenny was like peas & carrots again."

We're going for one of the final Passion Regionals. Passion conferences have been like my "mecca" that we take a pilgrimage to each year. Passion '05, '06, & '07 were amazing and yeah it's a little disappointing that this will only be a mini-Passion packed into a weekend... but it's totally worth it bkuz it frees Louie & the gang up to take Passion to the nations. This summer they're hitting up 17 of the largest cities in countries all over the globe. My boy Piper can't make it & King Crowder is out too... bummer. But, the other pimps will be rockin' it with us all weekend - Louie, Francis Chan, Charlie, Tomlin, & Matt Redman. gonna be off the chizzain.


Crystal & I have been road trip junkies the past few months hitting up Flint & Grand Rapids, Michigan (Jim's wedding & Mars Hill), Myrtle Beach, Lake Lure, Raleigh, Atlanta, PA, now DC, & next Miami in a few weeks.

Lots of fun times with just me & my wife chillin', talking about all kinds of stuff, and singing with the radio at the top of (my) lungs. Then, apparently these things make my wife really tired so she falls asleep.

So, after all these road trips, I'm an expert at maximizing these drives... you say, "with what - snacks? sunglasses? a comfy pillow?" ah, you forget that I'm a learning junkie... so I am prepared to finish some books on CD - Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis) & Don't Waste Your Life (Piper) + 987 podcasts currently on my iPod & a little notebook that hides nicely between the seat and the door to scribble down all my takeaways from what I'm hearing (*but don't tell Crystal because she hates it when I write while driving). So, I'm stoked about the total of 13 hours of learning on my way up & back.

We've got wireless in the hotel room, so I'll try to post some updates from Passion DC. peace...
(turns out there is no internet in the hotel room! update you when i get home!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have time, visit the Holocaust Museum -- the most sobering place in the city. Library of Congress and the Supreme Court are both high on my list as is the Capitol Rotunda. Take the Metro over to Union Station for lunch -- it's got a great food court downstairs. Walk the mall at night if it's not too cold -- it's beautiful. Takes about an hour from Capitol Hill to Lincoln and then go over to the White House. Great walk.

Have fun!

Kim said...

Patrick, you are inspiring! You and Crystal - may you be blown away by His Spirit this weekend - bonne route!!!