Monday, February 2, 2009

quotes of the week #6 (STAFF MEETING EDITION)

This is the 6th edition of "quotes of the week" here @ renown. You can read the original "quotes of the week", the explanation of the whole phenomenon, and the disclaimer = HERE. You can read the other 4 "quotes of the week" HERE, HERE, HERE, & HERE.

*Honestly these may be some of my greatest posts because I'M NOT THE ONE SAYING ANYTHING! Seriously, if you have time to go back and read any of these former editions, there's some really good stuff in them.

This post is a little different than my normal "quotes of the week" post which normally consists of quotes from famous people. This is "STAFF MEETING EDITION" meaning that all the quotes in today's post were said at one of our Ridge staff meetings.

I work with an AMAZING staff team (also occasionally confused for a rock band.) They're awesome & our staff meetings are pretty fun, funny, & can get pretty crazy. Because of this craziness I've had to leave some of the quotes out to protect the innocent (& not so innocent).
(You will also notice that no quotes are from me. First of all because I usually have nothing great to say. 2nd of all because all the quoteworthy stuff I've said in staff meetings is usually stuff the other staff can use against me as blackmail.)
Ok, enough, enough... here we go:

#1 quote of the week:
"We've got to be able to defend this vision and mission or else we become the thing we all left." - Chris (I don't think any commentary is needed. This was a sobering reminder for all of us. powerful.)

"That's Grody to the Max." - Melissa (to which I said "WHAT?!?" They could not believe I had NEVER heard this phrase in my whole life. Apparently I may be the only one on earth who had not. I have also since learned that it means "really gross.")

"A plumber's toilet never flushes." - Rusty (haha, this was awesome & produced a lot of laughter. This was during a discussion about our office environment. The nature of our church is focused on creating incredible and irresistible environments... but we were dissing our office environment. It was ironic. Then Rusty piped in with his wisdom.)

"You're a pile of shiznit... Twitter that." - Chris (I think the context involved my use of the word "shiznit" in place of another word with a similar grammatical structure in status updates on twitter & facebook. ALSO it was the same day that included many one-liners based on Kip's [Napoleon's Dynamite's older brother] famous line "Your mom goes to college." I think Rusty started it all.)

"If you're going to build something that lasts you've got to be willing to change what you build." - Reggie Joiner (Today was North Point's "all staff meeting" & we were piped in during our staff meeting. Reggie [who was on the original team that planted NPCC] talked about a lot of current stuff but I thought this was the best quote & it's really got me thinking.)

"What did you do with that thing in the thing?" - Rusty (this maybe isn't the exact quote, but it definitely involved 2 "things". The question was directed to Melissa & she was like "what?" It's funny because we have ALL been on both sides of a question like this [the asker & the askee].)

"When most people say they're using 'good stewardship' it really means they just produced crap." - Chris (haha, this is so true. It was in the context of an awesome conversation we had about excellence being a stewardship issue. I kept thinking about it all day. We should never use "stewardship" as a cop out to "produce crap.")

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Ha ha ha ha! love it! I need to start writing all this stuff down. We have the best staff meetings. :)

patrick mitchell said...

i know this was just what i could remember! we def. need to write all this stuff down - we could probably write a book eventually!
& i agree, we do have the best staff meetings.

Chris Brown said...

If staff meetings are so great how come you guys are always facebooking each other while I'm talking? Been some good laughs and great progress lately!

patrick mitchell said...

see Chris, we're not really facebooking each other... obviously we're writing down all the great stuff you've been saying!