Wednesday, February 3, 2010

disturb us (still...)

(This is an article I posted on January 29th, 2008. You can read the original and a few comments HERE.)

Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves. When our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little. When we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore. Disturb us, Lord.” – Sir Francis Drake

WOW! My heart resonates with the heart of this guy who spoke these words over 400 years ago. More than anything, I want to come to the end of my life and know that I didn't play it safe but went all out for the sake of Jesus' name. I never want to be pleased with where I'm at & I'm constantly asking God to give me bigger dreams for the sake of His glory. I'm gonna do my best to dream too big, but never too little.

(I first read these words this past summer [2007] in the 1st chapter of Chazown by Craig Groeschel who is the pastor of Life Church in OKC with a ton of campuses. Outreach Magazine recently named Craig's church the #1 most innovative church in America. Chazown is one of my top 5 books of all time & I beg you to quit reading my blog right now, buy the book, & read it TODAY!!! You won't regret it... more on the book in another post.)

I like what Craig wrote about this quote from Drake - “Are you willing to let God disturb you with dreams so big that you don’t know how they’ll be accomplished? A vision that can only come true if He pulls it off? That’s what you’ll get… I won’t promise the road will be smooth. But I do promise you can start today living with a vision for fulfillment. You will wake up every day with purpose and passion, motivated anew to fulfill your destiny. No more wandering. No more emptiness. No more searching. You will say, ‘This is why I was created. This is the meaning for my existence.’ And God will smile.”

That's awesome isn't it? I love it. It's so true. I'm begging God to use me in big, scary ways to change the world. But it won't happen if I'm "sailing too close to the shore." Now, what are you going to do? Settle for your tiny dreams coming true, or ask God for bigger ones?

so, for the past few months i've been asking God to disturb me. whatever it takes for Him to get maximum glory from my life.

No comments: