Tuesday, September 30, 2008

quotes of the week #4

These are my top quotes of the week. Read what "Quotes of the Week" are HERE. enjoy...
Love without courage and wisdom is sentimentality, as with the ordinary church member. Courage without love and wisdom is foolhardiness, as with the ordinary soldier. Wisdom without love and courage is cowardice, as with the ordinary intellectual. But the one who has love, courage, and wisdom MOVES THE WORLD.” – Ammon Hennacy [Catholic activist, 1893 – 1970]

"The Gospel is seeing that I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe, but that I am even more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope." | Dr. Timothy J. Keller [pastor of Reedemer Pres. in NYC]
Everybody ends up somewhere in life. A few people end up somewhere on purpose.” – Andy Stanley [lead pastor of our planting/partner church NPCC. From his book - Visioneering]
The great aim of education is not knowledge but action.” – Herbert Spencer
God Himself, sir, does not propose to judge man until the end of his days.” Why should you and I?" - Samuel Johnson [This is such an awesome quote & one that we all (especially Christians) need to remember!!!]
Truth and meaning for Christianity lie with the narrative before it is expressed in the doctrinal form. Christian theology, then, should not be primarily rational-propositional in form, even though it usually is, especially among evangelicals. Its primary task ought to be to explore and proclaim the Christian story, which is what gives meaning to doctrines in the first place. Theology exists to serve the story and not the other way around.” – Clark Pinnock [The old Theologian who is always a pioneer into what's "next" in Theology... he said this back in 1990 & it's SO TRUE!!! I wish all the younger leading theologians who are writing the "Systematic Theologies" would take a hint from this "old guy".]

I asked myself ‘Who is more likely to screw up my 1 and only life – me, or God?’” – Bill Hybels [what he asked himself when reluctant to leave a successful business career to start Willow Creek. WOW... I listened to him say this in a sermon recently on my iPod while mowing my yard. I actually stopped the lawnmower & texted that to myself. That's good stuff. Thanks for letting choosing wisely, Bill.]
I left the think tank, as it were, to form a do tank.” – Douglas Johnston
He who thinks he leads and has no one following is only taking a walk.” – John Maxwell [pretty much THE leadership Guru...]
“They [certain postmodern unbelievers] had no interest in what my beliefs did for me after I died, they wanted to know what my beliefs did for others while I was here.” – Shane Hipps [author of a VERY VERY intriguing book I'm reading right now titled The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture.]
[My favorite Coach ever of my favorite college football team ever has 3 leadership principles he tries to instill in every player] – “Integrity, passion, and courage of conviction.” – Bobby Bowden
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” - MLK
When Donald Trump becomes the poster boy for second chances and the church is viewed as a place of judgment… we have serious problems.” – Mike Foster [pimp & creator of XXXChurch, Ethur, Deadly Viper, etc...]

"May we find the Way, the Truth, and the Life
in a world of shortcuts, deception, and death." - Shane Claiborne [this guy is awesome & I enjoy reading his stuff & especially hearing him speak - he's the only hippie from East Tennessee I've ever heard and he talks like a crazy hick but is crazy smart...]

No comments: