Friday, January 29, 2010

God in the Psalms

We just finished a series in Student Impact at Ridge Church called "Not That Into You" and it was all about not being into God. it's cool if you're not that into your girlfriend anymore... you just break up. But what happens when you're not that into GOD?

During one of the talks in the series we thought through some different ideas on how to fight for a relationship with God.

I just shared one of the best things that helps me stay in the fight when i'm feeling not that into God.
It's actually something I learned from Louie Giglio in The Air I Breathe (I think the book has some new title now). *Ever since I read that book in college I have been practicing his suggestion daily.

He just suggests to read straight through the Psalms. But each day just read until you come to something AMAZING ABOUT GOD. Some characteristic about Him that is awesome. Write that amazing thing about God in your journal along with the verse. and THEN dwell on that amazing thing about God the rest of the day! so simple.

I've been doing that daily for years and so have traveled through the Psalms several times now.
I just flipped through the most recent pages in my journal, for the past several Psalms and we scrolled through these awesome things about God, about who HE is on the screen as fast as we could go. I am overwhelmed by Him. 
I thought I would post these things representing His awesomeness here. This is who God is.

Love – Psalm 57:10
Glorious – Psalm 57:5 - “Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be over all the earth.”
Worry-Catcher – Psalm 55:22 - “Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.”
Reliable – Psalm 59:9-10 - “You, God, are my fortress, my God on Whom I can rely.”
Famous – Psalm 59:13
Refuge – Psalm 59:16 - “You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
Rest – Psalm 62:1
My Hope –Psalm 62:5
Listener – Psalm 62:8 - “Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out Your hearts to Him...”
Unfailing Love – Psalm 62:12 - “Power belongs to You, God, and with You, Lord, is unfailing love...”
Love better than life! - Psalm 63:3 - “Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.”
Satisfier – Psalm 63:5 - “I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise You.”
Awe-inspiring/Joy-inspiring – Psalm 65:8 - “The whole earth is filled with awe at Your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, You call forth songs of joy.”
Glorious Name – Psalm 66:2
Blesser – Psalm 67
Famous – Psalm 67
Father to the Fatherless – Psalm 68:5 - “A Father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God...”
Burden Carrier – Psalm 68:19 - “Praise be to the LORD, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.”
Gladness Giver & Great – Psalm 70:4 - “May all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; may those who long for Your saving help always say, ‘The LORD is great!’”
Rock of Refuge – Psalm 71:3 - “Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go.”
My Confidence – Psalm 71:5 - “For You have been my Hope, Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on You...”
No One Like You – Psalm 71:19 - “Your righteousness, God, reaches to the skies, You who have done great things. Who is like You, God?” [no one!]
King – Psalm 74:12 - “But God is my King from long ago; He brings salvation on the earth.”
Renowned – Psalm 76:1 - “God is renowned... His Name is great.”
Greatest God – Psalm 77:13 - “Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God?
My Strength – Psalm 81:1 - “Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob.”
Advocate = Psalm 82:3-4 - “Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the needy.”
Unfailing Love = Psalm 85:7
Peace – Psalm 85:8 - “I will listen to what God the LORD says; He promises peace to His people, His faithful servants.”
Abounding Love – Psalm 86:5 - “You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to You.”
God alone – Psalm 86:9-10
Great Love – Psalm 86:13
Compassionate – Psalm 86:15 - “But You, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.”
Great Love – Psalm 89:1
My Dwelling Place – Psalm 90:1
Everlasting – Psalm 90:1-2 - “Lord, You have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or You brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting You are God.”
Joy-Giver/Satisfier – Psalm 90:14 - “Satisfy us in the morning with Your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”
Shelter – Psalm 91:1 – “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”
Refuge – Psalm 91:2
Glad Maker – Psalm 92:4 - “For You make me glad by Your deeds, LORD; I sing for joy at what Your hands have done.”
Forever Exalted – Psalm 92:9
Reigning – Psalm 93:1 - “The LORD reigns He is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and armed with strength.”
Eternal King – Psalm 93:2
Mightier – Psalm 93:4 - “Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea—the LORD on high is mighty.”
Greatest God – Psalm 95:3 - “For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods.”
No One Like You – Psalm 89:5-8 - “The heavens praise Your wonders, LORD... For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD? Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings? In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; He is more awesome than all who surround Him.”


*Then I simply asked...
how could you NOT be into a God like this?

No comments: