Monday, January 4, 2010

Passion

I think I have said a ton of times on this blog how the Passion Movement has had the most radical influence in my life over the past 7 years.
No other thing in my 20s has influenced me more than this movement! After I decided to follow Jesus with my whole life, Passion has been the single most influential thing in my life.
(I won't even bother to link to all the times I've written about this because there are too many...)

The name of this blog even comes from the radical God-centered vision birthed in me through the Passion movement which from the beginning ('97) has been all about Isaiah 26:8...
"Yes Lord, walking in the way of Your truth, we wait eagerly for You; for Your Name and renown are the desire of our souls."

Somewhere around 2004 or 2005 I decided that I would leverage my entire life for 1 thing = God's Renown! Life is all about that. I've traded it all in... the hope of anything else I've ever wanted... all for making God famous... spreading His renown to more and more people! That's what I'm living life for.

And that was birthed in me through the Passion Movement (including following books and talks of guys like Louie and Piper, etc...). I remember that Passion '05 was probably one of the most amazing experiences of my life! I'm a very experiential person and I love spiritual experiences and experiencing God as INTENSELY as I can. That happened for me every time I was at a Passion Conference.

So, Passion has been a major part of my spiritual journey in this era of my life. I am who I am today because of how God has used Passion in my life. So many different people and things influenced me up to my 20s, but for these past 6 years or so I have been largely shaped by the Passion movement... maybe that's a better way to say it.

So, I am a little bummed that I'm not at Passion 2010 today. I wrote about that briefly yesterday. I'm very thankful for technology though that lets me still experience it from my couch. You can click HERE and see the Main Sessions streaming. I hooked it up to my big screen plasma TV & cranked up the volume... listened to my fav speaker of all time bring it in session 1 (Louie) & kind of in session 2 (even tho he wasn't even the speaker, haha. + stoked about Piper coming up in Session 4 i think...

+ I've been worshipping in my living room with my fav lead worshippers - the whole sixsteps crew = Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Charlie Hall, Christy Nockels, and Kristian Stanfill + some guests who have been part of the movement directly & indirectly = Steve Fee & Hillsong United (Joel Houston, Brooke Frasor, etc...) We have had an awesome time together as I'm sure it's crazy amazing there in ATL.

So, since it's Passion 2010 this week I might be blogging more often about it. Just my thoughts on what's going down there... as if I were there.

Most of all I am still in constant prayer for God to move in power there like He has so many times before in my life.

I'm praying that he births a passion in so many other 20somethings for His renown just like He did in my heart years ago! 
I'm praying that thousands and thousands follow God to "Do Something Now" and they end up changing the world.
I hope that thousands camp out in the "GO Center" like I did for a few years and go after it with God for the nations...
And most of all my prayer is the same as Louie's last prayer before it started:
"We need You more than ever.  You are everything.  Be happy at Passion 2010.  It’s all for You, Jesus.  Amen"

2 comments:

Nick Blevins said...

In terms of how Passion has influenced you, I could say the exact same things you said, and almost on the same timeline. But, I'd have to toss 722 in there as well. I haven't been since '06 though. I'm missing it too. What a great movement....

patrick mitchell said...

right on, Nick. what a great movement!
how are things goin for you guys in the DC area?