Friday, January 8, 2010

Quotes of the Week - Passion 2010 edition

I have been writing about Passion and Passion 2010 pretty much all week. You can catch up on some of my thoughts HERE and HERE.

Big thanks to Passion for putting the main sessions up online. I got to watch most of them. Thankfully I'll get to watch them all soon when the videos come!

But for now I just wanted to share my top Quotes from Passion 2010. These are all from Louie Giglio, Andy Stanley, and John Piper - my favorite 3 speakers in the whole world!

Louie's top quotes (from Session 1)
"There should be no one in this city who doesn't know the Kingdom of God has come to Atlanta." [And there wasn't with the 20K towels and 65K pairs of socks students brought!]

"We shouldn't be talking, Tweeting, etc... more about people (here at Passion) than about Jesus!" [In case you think that's what I'm doing here, you should read the previous 6 posts...]

"Let's all die to everything that's less than Jesus! Forget everything the world says I need and have to have...."

Andy
"Who I become is more important than what I grow up and do."

“Generosity insures that the things you own never own you.” [where does he come up with this brilliant stuff!?!?]

"You have enough talent and passion and education to accomplish amazing things.
BUT those things have the potential to sweep us past what your character is able to maintain!" [we SO need to hear that and be reminded of it!]

“It’s always a mistake to decide what you want to do before you determine who you want to be.” [the theme of his talk]

“What you want said about you at your funeral is your personal definition of success.” – Stephen Covey (via Andy Stanley)

Piper
“Grant to us a God-centeredness that is so deep and thorough and real in our hearts that we wouldn’t take offense at Your God-centeredness.” [Piper's prayer at the beginning of his talk]

“God’s God-centeredness is an unbelievably powerful test of my God-centeredness.” [and wow is that true!]


“Is our vaunted God-centeredness a cloak for self-centeredness by loving a God who is man-centered.” [i think the answer is "yes" for a whole lot of peeps!]

“If that’s egomania, then bring it on! I want to be happy. God makes it clear that we can only be ultimately happy in seeing His greatness."

“you weren’t made to be somebody, you were made to know Somebody.”

“self forgetfulness in the presence of Greatness is the capstone of joy.” [this changed my life when i first heard Piper teach it... still changing my life years later.]

 "People are not made to feel significant, but made to be STUNNED with significance outside themselves.”
 
“What we delight to do we cannot help but do. The praise is the consummation of the enjoyment…” - C.S. Lewis (via John Piper)


Which is YOUR favorite quote? 

2 comments:

Jonathan Black said...

Put down the re-dedication tree.
-Louie

Katie Klinect said...

Wow, so I was googling passion 2010 quotes and this came up. I love how you put these all on here!! :)
Oh, and I don't have a fav, they were all so good!!